Software Engineering: Roles, Responsibilites and Industry
Software Engineering: Roles, Responsibilites and Industry, Learn about areas of software engineering pivotal for career plan. Understand the basics and apply in daily engnineering.
The course is an introduction to the complexity waiting for a beginner in the software industry. No certifications or silver bullets exist to a long and fulfilling software career. Instead, the course provides a brief overview of the industry and processes from an experienced engineer’s perspective.
The main goal of the course is to make the aspirants aware of the big picture before they get caught up in confusing job descriptions. A prosperous career cannot be purchased or fast-tracked. It needs daily nurturing via habits and coherent knowledge.
Moving between different-sized organizations often leads to taking up multiple roles. Frequent job switching can lead to career path fragmentation. To avoid getting overwhelmed by the situation, one may choose to be aware of the bigger picture upfront. The fundamentals change at a much slower pace compared to trends. Build expertise around fundamentals for a great career.
- Components of software engineering
- Algorithms, Data Structures, DevOps, SRE, SCM, etc.
- Types of software companies
- Types of roles in software companies
- Frameworks to gauge competition and career trajectory.
- Lessons from personal experiences about recessions and interviewing from a career perspective.
- Software engineering beyond coding
- Business goals of possible employer companies
- Kind of roles available in the industry for beginners/fresh graduates.