Permit to Work (PTW) System, Effective Control of Hazards in the Workplace.
A permit to work system ensures that formal validation and authority is given when hazardous work is to be undertaken.
It ensures that all components of a safe system of work are established before high risk work commences, thereby controlling and reducing risk to individuals and the organisation.
A permit to work system is a formal written procedure which is designed to give greater control over tasks that involve inherently higher risks. It sets out the precautions required to complete the work safely, based on a risk assessment.
This course outlines the use of the permit system in managing a safe system of work. It examines common permit systems and their applications to different fields of work, as well exploring some of the pitfalls. It will also include examples of permit systems and policies in use across many sectors as well as questions to consider when auditing your current arrangements. This course will also provide the information and the necessary tools that you will need in order to recognise the risks associated with the hazardous jobs, you will learn the procedures to control and minimise risks through work permit system.
Who should attend?
This training course will be very beneficial for the people, particularly, those who are responsible for implementing permit to work systems, new employees selected by the organisation for issuing and signing off permits to work, existing personnel in the organisation who issue and sign off permits that require formal training. Permit to work system might include but not limited to:
• Contractor working
• Hot work
• Working in confined spaces
• Working at height/roof work
• Working with hazardous substances
• Work require energy (electrical, pneumatic etc.) isolation
On completion of this Training Course, delegates will be able to:
• Describe and understand the content of a Permit to Work System.
• Understand the various types of Permits used.
• Implement procedures under which a Permit to Work System should be used.
• Understand the Legal, Industry and/or Company Requirements relating to Permit to Work Systems.
Training will include:
- Introduction to Health and Safety at Work
- Essentials of Management of Health and Safety at Work
- Safe systems of work
- The necessity, principles and purpose of permits to work, including high risk activities such as working in confined spaces
- The typical contents of a permit to work – Basic permit concepts – isolation, handover, supervision, suspension, display
- The function and role of a permit to work within the overall risk control and risk management framework
- The procedure for issuing a permit to work
- The cessation and termination of a permit
- The responsibilities of the issuer and receiver of the permit
- Potential difficulties and solutions with the permit to work system
- Managing multiple permits
- Generic and specific permits
- Typical permit problems
- The issuing authorities role
- Types of permit
- Case study exercise
Course includes videos, case studies and practical exercises on PTW
Knowledge of the basics of Occupational Safety and Health will be very useful.